Header

Header

Wednesday 23 March 2022

Carthaginian Cavalry

 

Back in January I painted a few samples of work in progress including a Carthaginian cavalry figure. Here is the unit finished at last and ready to join my growing Minifgs 72 range (PB) Carthaginians. 

I do like the first PBH horses that were made to go with this range. These were soon replaced by the larger A and H series horses, which I don't think suit the riders anywhere near as well. Whenever I can I like to use the PBH horses for the 72 range riders.

As you can see I've gone for simple toy soldier style basing onto card, a nod to the style of the day. The same goes for the gloss varnish, which was of course standard at the time. I like the way the varnish enhances the colours, even if the primary reason is to make the figures handleable. 

I have parted company with tradition by using transfers for the shields - these are part of the Hoplite set from Warlord Games. It's a very useful set of transfers - or decals if you prefer - even if you do have to get a dozen or so sheets if you want all your shields the same like me. 

These took me a fair while to finish - it's all those horses! - and I'm looking forward to getting on with something a bit quicker next time.

Interesting observation. I scraped the riders together from several ebay purchases and it was only once I started to mount them that I discovered some are slightly smaller and more slender than others. Presumably, these come from different moulds, but the result is that the spears on some are at slightly different angles - not so much as you would notice at first glance but definitely there. Some of the spears are also slightly thicker - just goes to show how much variation you can get off a mould even with the same model. 


No comments:

Post a Comment