Header

Header

Saturday 27 May 2023

A Few More Mythical Earthers

 

Goblin with Spear, Shield and Bow

I added a unit of Goblins to my growing Mythical Earth (ME) army - Miniature Figurines 'not' Middle Earth range from the early 70s. These are the ME56 figure, Goblin with Spear, Shield and Bow. When I collected these as a nipper these were cheerfully dubbed the 'GSSBs'.

I stuck to the same colour palette that I used for the Man Orcs: iron for the metal-work and dark red for shields and straps. As I always do I primed in white, painted the base flesh colour, and then ended up almost repainting the rest of the model black to carry the armour and fill-in behind the shield and arms. Although a little lining with a brush will be done at the end, I mostly rely on the black undercoat for this, cutting in the surrounding colour to leave a neat divide.

ME56 is a funny little figure and you have to wonder whether it originates from the same hand as the rest of the range. The sculpting style is very unusual for Minifigs. The pose is also quite poor from the point of view of moulding and casting - although that is hardly a unique thing with these early Minifigs. The spear is crudely done, a very thick piece of wire which has been flattened and cut into a point without any attempt at shaping the spear-point. 

The armour is modelled to represent either mail or scale, and it's quite hard to tell which. Again, this is not the Minifigs way, which is to engrave the mail as is the case on the Man Orcs and other models in the range as well as all the contemporary ancient and medieval ranges. 

I've been picking these up from ebay and friends have contributed a few too, so it's hardly surprising that there is some variation in the models I have. Although the spear butts are all grounded at the back of the base, some extend over the lip of the base itself, making a longer spear held at a necessarily different angle. Some of my figures have the spear butts clipped - as is the case with this example - which was obviously done by the original owner to neaten them up. 

I have enough usable models to paint up another unit the same size, and a smaller batch of figures that are probably too poorly case to make the effort worthwhile. I think the inferior castings are genuine Minifigs, but I guess it's possible these could be contemporary re-casts - it certainly wouldn't be all that unusual were that the case. The poorer castings have massive fill-in behind the arms and shield where the mould halves haven't properly closed. I can't bring myself to paint those. The good news is that ME 56 has been re-issued as part of the Miniature Figurines Classic Fantasy range. I've not seen the new castings but hopefully they'll be up to scratch. 

The GSSB was a popular model in the day, not least because it was a reasonably potent tabletop proposition with a combination of weapons that offered ranged and close-combat abilities otherwise unavailable to the servants of the Dark Lord. 

I've also painted up a couple of sample figures: the Dunland Spearman ME21 and True Orc with Sword and Shield ME45. 

ME 21 Dunland Spearman
Here we have the Dunland Spearman - a standard hairy barbarian type albeit with a man-bag slung at his waist. This is a very typical Minifigs spear pose - as seen on the PB Hoplite for example. I've painted this in the same colours as the unit of axemen I already have. 






ME 45 True Orc with
Sword and Shield
And here is the True Orc. Not sure I fancy his chances much with that flimsy looking shield and complete lack of armour. Same anatomy as the True Orc Archer I already have as part of the army, and altogether a pleasing little model in the Minifigs style. The trouble with this chap, and also with his stablemate ME24 True Orc Swordsman, is that the combination of weapons and protection was especially poor in terms of the contemporary rules that we all used - effectively condemning him into the realm of 'D class medium infantry'... and we all know what happened to them. 

8 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed Rick…
    I’ve noticed with the Napoleonic figures… every now and then you come across a figure that I stylistically different… I wonder if these were test figures made by people looking for work as designers…or possibly just a bit of in house experimentation…
    When will you be getting around to the good guys?

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aly :) Yes I suspect something of that kind is going on because it's such an odd little figure and nothing like the other goblins in the range. I do have a shed-load of good guys in metal, so I suppose I must get round to painting some of them. When I started collecting these I was just picking them up without much of a plan. Eventually, when I got round to counting what I had I found I had bought about fifteen flying Nazgul and a dozen dragons, but not all than many troops I could turn into full sized units. I do have lots of the Citadel Guard though... everybody had those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was interested to be pointed to this blog recently, when I posted some pictures of Minifigs Ithilien rangers I had recently finished painting, for my retro Minifigs ME project. It's great to see that someone else is working on this, too. For what it's worth, I have been extending mine with a few of the Sword and Sorcery figures as appropriate (my Rohirrim, in particular, are reinforced by a handful of SSC13 Midwestern knight with lance). While I have a couple of dozen V5 first generation Viking archers, the remainder of the V numbers are scarce. They are likely to see service as Dunlendings or Lakemen. I also ended up with a cache of the slightly later NS range Normans, Saxons, and Vikings, and the poses with round shields have been doing double duty as historicals and as Lakemen. (They'll also be dismounted Rohirrim, after I get enough Rohirrim painted to be a force on their own.) I'm going with a modern basing aesthetic, and the default rules (so far) are also modern, Dragon Rampant. I look forward to seeing more of your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob - sounds good - yes I have a few of the S&S figures and also the V range Vikings - I wonder if Dave Ryan can be persuaded to make a mould for the Vikings. They would fit in easily and are contemporary too. I'm aiming for bigger battles than Dragon Rampant supports - I'll probably have a go using Hail Caesar as the base system. Mind you I'll have to paint some good guys first!

      Delete
    2. At this point I've got about 160 ME orcs and such painted (though they need more cavalry), and about 110 actual ME good guys (divided between Gondorians and the allies of the Battle of the Five Armies), so larger battles are still a ways off. I've managed to accumulate about 500 unpainted figures, so, perhaps some time. (Can I stick a link in here? Here's my ME from my blog ...https://sharpbrush.blogspot.com/search/label/Mythical%20Earth )

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the link Rob - I already sneaked a look but for anyone reading this who hasn't done so I would recommend checking out Rob's lovely paint jobs :)

      Delete
  4. This project is shaping up very nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing you do some goodies. Apropos Rob's comments above, I have quite a few Dark Age Minifigs that are much slighter than the current incarnations, and work well with the ME line. I came to Minifigs in the early 80s so I don't know much about these older sculpts , other than they are much finer than the later DA range.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mike - yes it's coming together slowly but steadily. The ME figures are similar in style to the earlier S range and PB ranges as well as the contemporary V (Viking) and AX (Alexander Nevsky) ranges (also the Samurai and Aztecs but those are bit obscure). These earlier ranges are all quite elegant and have a specific charm. Minifigs started to bulk up the figures in the mid-70s and I think the trend just continued really. With the ME figures it's interesting how the remade Rohan cavalry are much bigger and chunkier than the original (and quite rare) originals.

    ReplyDelete