Header

Header

Thursday 21 October 2021

Some Recent Additions

These are some of the units I've added to my Successor armies over the last year. Most of these were bought second hand and paint jobs were good enough to serve as a base coat. That saves an awful lot of time stripping if you can get away with it! 

The heavy cavalry make a nice sized unit on the original PB series horses. The transfers are from the Warlord Greek Hoplite set - kept it simple in the old style. 

The cataphracts are another unit that I've just overpainted using the original paint job as a base coat. The horses are a mix but the riders were so firmly attached to them I decided to let things be. 

All the basing is as per the standard WRG Ancient rules of the mid-70s. I've gone for this minimalist 'no basing material' approach and painted a 'mix' I've made up of Warlord 'Green Webbing' and Vallejo 'Flat Yellow'. 

The javelinmen were part of another batch and all I've done here is a little lining and retouching before whacking on a good coat of shiny varnish.  

All of the AMPW PB figures are quite petite - compatible with the earlier Ancient 'S' range with which they mix well.

These archers are actually from the Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome range and represent Roman Auxiliaries of the 1st Century AD. They arrived mixed-in with the Jewish archers shown below, and they had lost the tops of their heads as part of an old conversion. I've re-sculpted the helmets and hived them off in their own unit. 

I think they make pretty convincing Syrians of the Hellenistic period, so I'm counting them as Successors! 

These slingers have been stripped and repainted - there are quite a few more of them! It's a very simple little model and the pose is typical of the range. A few repairs - a few of them had lost their slings - but otherwise as original. 
These chaps started life as Syrian archers with tall caps, but when I acquired them they'd been converted into Jewish archers by the simple expedient of lopping the top of the head off and replacing it with what looked like a putty beret. 

I set about remodelling the hair and skull-caps - not sure how accurate this is - but I was quite pleased with how they turned out.

Lastly a few Cretan archers that I've enhanced with a bit of overpainting. I've got so many of these I don't know why I keep buying more! I think everyone had these back in the day - and they make a nice mercenary archer type for most armies. 


 

3 comments:

  1. Love the aesthetic here Rick, I particularly like the cataphracts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John - yes I have a ton of those cataphracts in their original paint - I think everyone had them because they were so effective in the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may have a few of them, my nomad lifestyle precludes to much accretion. Cataphracts were always an "instinctive" choice at our Dundee wargames club, I had plenty in my Hinchliffe Sassanind army too!

    ReplyDelete