Header

Header

Monday 1 November 2021

A Few More Hoplites

 






I didn't set out to build a couple of units of Hinchliffe Hoplites - but you know how it is - they came along in dribs and drabs with other purchases and suddenly you have a new addition. 

These have all been painted from scratch and I was pleased with the way they turned out. I've given them new spears and I managed to find officers and standards to lead them. The shields are done with the excellent Little Big Men transfers, which finishes them off rather nicely I think. 

Yes you have probably spotted that the basing is to Wargames Research Group 3rd and subsequent editions, i.e.a 15mm frontage in multiples to facilitate casualty removal. A pdf can be found on the WRG site here. I will probably be giving them a spin with Hail Caesar at some point though. 

These figures are available from Lancashire Games along with the rest of the pre-gunpowder Hinchliffe range. 

















5 comments:

  1. Thanks John - I must admit I rather like this range despite not really being a Hinchliffe fan back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great design, and beautifully painted too. I found myself starting with Garrison, then on to Hinchliffe and then ended up at Minifigs with the introduction of the "newer" designs based on Richard Nelson's WRG book. Therefore it's been great to see the early Minifig figs that you've been posting, all the best.

      Delete
  2. Those shields really do make the unit. Just stunning. Were they tough to apply given the curvature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a bit fiddly - actually designed for 20mil figs or 1/72nd - I found you have to make cuts to allow the transfer to fold round the shield properly - and I've either extended the designs or added a border to make them fit - some patterns easier than others. A good layer of varnish settles things down a bit.

      Delete